“This is when it matters; you don’t get do-overs anymore. It starts tomorrow night, and all of them count,” said IU Head Coach Teri Moren on Wednesday morning, about the team’s opener against Eastern Illinois.
The #9 Hoosiers will start off their season against Eastern Illinois, following a lone exhibition win against Northwood last week. Tip-off is scheduled for 7pm on Thursday at Simon Skjodt Assembly Hall. The game will air on BIG 10+.
The EIU Panthers finished the 2022-23 season at 21-8, 14-4 in the Ohio Valley Conference. Their season opener was Monday night, which they lost 77-72 to IUPUI. During the game, the Panthers had 4 players in double digits, with Freshman Guard Lelani Ellis contributing 21. EUI collectively shot 41% from the field, 20% from beyond the arc, and 73% from the free throw line. The pulled down 44 rebounds, but turned the ball over 20 times.
The Hoosiers will return the starting line-up of Mackenzie Holmes, Sydney Parish, Yarden Garzon, Sara Scalia, and Chloe Moore-McNeil on Point.
What to Expect . . .
- Indiana should be much tighter on Defense than they demonstrated in the second half of their exhibition game. Look for IU to be more aggressive in the paint on rebounding, and quicker to close out on EIU’s perimeter shooting.
- More minutes from Sophomore Forward Lily Meister, who had a big game last week.
- EIU to try full-court pressure throughout the game to slow down the Hoosiers.
- EIU to play a number of their bench players early, substituting to find match-ups that will work on the offensive side of the court, hoping to exploit any possible holes in the Hoosier Defense.
Of interest . . . .
- Freshman Guard Jules LaMendola is listed as questionable for the match-up after suffering a calf injury during the Northwood game
- All-American Graduate Forward Mackenzie Holmes is 21 points away from becoming the 2nd highest scorer in IUWBB program history
- Head Coach Teri Moren can achieve her 400th career victory with a win against the Panthers
Up next, the Hoosiers will take on #15 Stanford at the Maples Pavilion at 5pm on Sunday, November 12th. Televised on ESPN.