Today’s Local Headlines are brought to us by . . .
Monroe County Convention Center is a Covid Vaccination Center
The Monroe County Convention Center has announced that they are one of the vaccination sites available in Monroe County. Those 80 years and older are now able to receive the Covid-19 vaccination, should they wish. No walk-in vaccinations will be available, you must register to schedule an appointment time. Visit: ourshot.in.gov or call 211 to register. Complimentary parking is available.
Master Trooper Todd Durnil recognized for service
Master Trooper Todd Durnil was recently recognized for achieving 30 years of service with the Indiana State Police. Master Trooper Durnil graduated from the 48th Recruit School on December 9th, 1990. Last month he received his awards from the Indiana State Police that consisted of a framed certificate and a longevity pin to be worn on the uniform. Durnil is a 1987 graduate of Edgewood High School and attended Indiana University while serving in the United States Air Force. After graduating from the 48th Recruit School he was appointed as a Trooper and assigned to the Seymour District where he patrolled Jackson County. In 1995 Durnil transferred to the Bloomington District where he primarily patrolled Monroe County. In 2004 he was promoted as a member of the first Indiana State Police Motorcycle Patrol since the 1940s where he served as a Squad Leader until 2012. In 2016 Durnil was promoted to the position of Commercial Vehicle Enforcement Officer and in 2019 he returned to the Bloomington District as a road Trooper.
Brown County State Park listed as National Register Historic District.
Located in south-central Indiana, Brown County State Park comprises 15,815 acres of unglaciated terrain featuring dramatic undulating hills and wooded ridges and valleys. The park is situated southeast of downtown Nashville, Indiana The property has a significant degree of historic integrity, retaining many original buildings and landscape features from its period of significance. The property’s Burr arch-truss covered bridge, originally erected in Putnam County in 1838 and relocated to Brown County in 1932, is the only remaining example of its kind in Indiana. The national listing is the culmination of at least four years of research and documentation by Indiana Landmarks staff and the Indiana Department of Natural Resources, with support from local group Peaceful Valley Heritage.